Aerobic exercise helps push the heart and circulatory system further than the easy pace of many every day activities. This stress forces the body to adapt causing many changes which benefit us in a lot of ways. The health benefits we gain from aerobic exercise are important, not only does this type of exercise help control weight, it also limits the chances of developing many common illness and diseases.
- The heart enlarges.
- The heart increases its blood stroke volume.
- Resting heart rate slows, less than 60 beats per minute indicates good physical fitness.
- Oxygen is used more efficiently resulting in increased fat burning during exercise.
- More available energy due to greater amounts of ATP and PC for immediate power needs.
- Increased endurance.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Reduced risks in developing diabetes and other diseases.
- Increase in good cholesterol, decrease in bad cholesterol - see fats good/bad!
- Faster recovery after exercise.
- More efficient cardiovascular system.
- A positive body composition change, more muscle less fat.
- Better chance of maintaining healthy weight later in life.
- Help in coping with all other emotional and psychological stress.
The constant stress of aerobic exercise forces the heart to gradually enlarge so future exercise eventually requires less effort. A bigger heart allows us to sustain exercise for longer periods because more oxygenated blood can be carried to the working muscles. This also has the added benefit that a higher fat percentage can be used to provide the energy for exercise.